Home > Property > When Do Landlords Have to Pay for Hotel Rooms for Tenants?

When Do Landlords Have to Pay for Hotel Rooms for Tenants?

Incidents like fire or flooding can cause severe damage to a rental property, making it uninhabitable for tenants. In this stressful situation, who is liable for covering the costs of finding alternative accommodation — landlords or tenants?

Essentially, this all depends on the provisions of the original tenancy agreement. Sometimes it is stated explicitly that a landlord will find alternate accommodation for tenants; mostly, it isn’t. Sometimes landlords have insurance in place for this specific purpose. 

If you feel a little lost about the proper protocol, keep reading. We’re going to clear up some of your concerns and hopefully ease your mind. 

When Can Tenants Stay in a Hotel at a Landlord’s Expense?

Ultimately, a landlord’s legal obligation is to provide a property for their tenants that is habitable. In the eyes of the law, a habitable property is structurally sound, has adequate running water, heating, and electricity. 

If the property loses any of these qualities due to an accident that isn’t the tenant’s responsibility, the landlord may choose to pay for temporary accommodation. However, this is a choice and not a legal requirement. 

The details of the landlord’s responsibilities are usually stipulated in the tenancy agreement. The provision most commonly seen in tenancy agreements is that the tenant will not have to pay rent while the property is uninhabitable and they can therefore use the rental money to pay for alternative accommodation. 

If the original property is deemed uninhabitable due to damage, landlords can choose to continue charging rent in exchange for separate accommodation. This agreement is usually between the tenant and the landlord. 

However, the landlord is not obliged to do this. No UK law requires landlords to seek alternate accommodation for tenants ousted from their homes by a disaster — even if the landlord was at fault. 

Who is Obliged to Find Alternate Accommodation?

Rather than the landlord, the local authority will find appropriate accommodation following a disaster, in line with the Housing Act 1996. The act prioritises those who face homelessness due to catastrophe and covers a variety of circumstances that are not limited solely to tenant and landlord agreements. 

If you are facing homelessness due to inhospitable accommodation, you should contact your local council immediately. The council will assess your situation and discuss a plan to find appropriate housing until you can be situated appropriately once again. In this case, that will usually be once the repairs are complete. 

Tenants have the legal right to remain in a property until bailiffs evict them. Ordinarily, it won’t need to come to this. Most tenants will find appropriate accommodation elsewhere long before this becomes necessary, especially if it is a simple repair. 

Is There Any Instance Where a Landlord Would Have to Pay?

Indirectly, yes. While no law in the UK requires landlords to pay for alternate accommodation, the tenants may have grounds to sue under particular circumstances. The most common area where landlords face legal action from tenants is when they have received reports of needed repairs but have failed to act on them. 

For example, suppose a tenant reports a leak they have discovered. The landlord, rather than investigating, ignores the problem, and then the pipe bursts, causing significant damage to the property. A tenant may choose to sue in these circumstances as the landlord had received a fair warning of the original issue. 

However, if damage occurs and the landlord has not received due notice, with no other way of knowing about it, successful legal action is far less likely. If the tenant does sue, the resulting funds could cover alternate accommodation in theory, but the time it takes to complete the legal process makes this impractical. 

Can a Tenant Stay While Repairs Take Place?

Yes. Tenants are not obliged to leave during the repair process, provided it’s feasible they can stay. The only time tenants would not be able to remain within the property is if repairs would be impossible due to their presence. In the instance of significant repair work, the landlord should:

  • Inform tenants how long the repair work is estimated to take place
  • Agree with the tenants when and where the bulk of the repair work will take place
  • As much as possible, keep the disruption to daily life to a minimum.

If the tenants refuse to move from the property while essential repairs are due to take place, the landlord can apply for a court order to have them removed. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Does a Landlord Have To Provide Alternative Accommodation?

This is a complex question; the answer to which can vary depending on the specific situation and content of tenancy agreements the landlord and tenant enter into. Broadly a landlord can be obliged to provide alternative accommodation where repairs are needed that require a tenant’s temporary relocation elsewhere. Landlords have a number of core legal obligations, including to provide adequate space heating, hot water, and sanitation, and all homes must be habitable. The need to provide alternative accommodation is often considered when there has been a significant event such as a fire or flood. Often these are insured events and so care will need to be taken to ensure other parties, such as insurers, are also consulted before decisions are made to offer and provide expensive alternative accommodation when there might be no obligation to do so, or to wrongly refuse. The ability to recover the costs of any approach might be limited if insurers are not also consulted. Landlords and tenants need to communicate effectively in these types of situations to minimise the risk of later claims and/or disputes, such as unlawful eviction or arising from damage to tenant possessions.

Seek Legal Advice

If you are a landlord and still aren’t sure where you stand legally, contact us today.  

At Helix Law, our legal team has the experience required to put your mind at ease. The law can get complicated, but that’s what we’re here to address. No matter your situation, we can offer you the proper advice to help ensure you take the best course of action.

Posted by:

Laura Albon

Request a Call Back

People frequently tell us that we’re approachable and offer great advice.

They also tell us most solicitors are hard to get hold of whereas we’re happy to listen. The reason for this is that we value long term relationships and we’re happy to speak with business people, to invest our time in understanding your business and whatever your concerns are. Only at that point can we understand whether we’re the right people to help you.

Related Blogs: